- Book. Roman London's First Voices Writing Tablets Bloomberg Excavations 2010-14Pre-owned
- The Criterion - Shaykh Ibn TaymiyaCharity itemBrand new
- Race Films DVD SetBrand new
- Body Luggage Migration of Gestures A Steirischer Herbst ExhibitionPre-owned
- WWII NEWSREEL FOOTAGE 1937-1946, 6 HOURS OF TOTAL FOOTAGE COMPLETE 4 DVD SET-J19Brand new
- CANNIBAL KILLERS: The Impossible Monsters, Martingale, 0709050348 (AnthropophagyBrand new
- The Birth of a Nation [DVD]Brand new
- Fighting Slave of Gor (Gor, #14)Pre-owned
- Salon Extreme 21 - The Ultimate Salon Marketing ManualBrand new
- NORTHERN EXPOSURE 1-6 1990-1995: CLASSIC 2011 Repackage COMPLETE Rg2 DVD not USBrand new
- NORTHERN EXPOSURE 1-6 (1990-1995) ORIGINAL MUSIC RESTORED COMPLETE Eu Rg2 not USBrand new
- Gunbuster + Diebuster [Aim for the Top 2] DVD Complete OVA 0 Region Art Box SetBrand new
- Unspoken Desires: Real People Talk about Sexual Experiences and Fantasies TheyBrand new
- 100 Best Classical Music - 7 Hours of Classics - Extended Audio Disc 2 DVD's NEWBrand new
- Galatians : The Path to Freedom, Paperback by Jeremiah, David, Dr., Brand New...Brand new
- CRIMINAL MINDS 1-15 (2018-2019) COMPLETE FBI Drama TV Season Series NEW Rg1 DVDBrand new
- RED DWARF (1988-1999) 1-8 JUST THE SHOWS Original Seasons Series R2/4 DVD not USBrand new
- DR WHO 2005-2013 Series 1-7 - Doctor Who TV Series Season Collection NEW BLU-RAYBrand new
Sixth District Representative Alvera Maduro-Caines lamented what she called selfish behavior by many residents as the British Virgin Islands continue to be affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Maduro-Caines said some employers cut wages in half, but still expected employees to do a full day of work.
“They are taking this COVID pandemic and making our people slaves,” Maduro-Caines said.
“Then you have employers who take the social security money that has been paid to employees. This money does not belong to the employers. It’s wrong. They are not supposed to do that. Social Security is giving some of them a bit of a hard time to catch up on… and you, as an employer, are taking what you know Social Security is giving them?
You cannot take our people and make them slaves because of COVID. Our ancestors fought for many years to get to where we were now and I know they will turn around in their graves to see some of what is going on now, ”Maduro-Caines said.
Some selfish owners
The lawmaker, who has crossed the political floor this year to join the ruling Virgin Islands party, also said some landlords were “cold, greedy and heartless” because they show no mercy to tenants who have to. struggling to pay their rent.
“I know a young man who has lived in a room for over 20 years. He is affected by COVID, has struggled, and cannot pay his rent on time. He is asked to leave the premises. That’s what I call evil, ”Maduro-Caines said.
Pay your rent
At the same time, she urges tenants to make an effort to pay their rent.
“Tennants if you work, pay your landlord, pay your rent. You have no excuse. If you work at half pay, talk to your landlord… arrange some sort of payment structure with your landlord. There are some that will work with you, now there are others that I would call wicked and selfish.
Maduro-Caines said she believed COVID-19 had a more severe impact on BVI than the two 2017 hurricanes that devastated the territory.
“We went through Irma and Maria, but for me people were more open-minded, generous and understanding, but something about it… I often say that only the Lord can help us get through this now,” says- she.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.